A global aerospace company had within its application portfolio a manufacturing system that recorded details of aircraft parts, planning records, quotations, sales orders and employees. Unfortunately, this system dated from 1968, resided on ageing infrastucture and support costs were increasing. The UniData database holding all that vital data was also due to go out of support.
Understandably, maintaining reliable access to this data was tremendlously important, both to support business users and maintain compliance. The company therefore required a proven, quick and cost-effective solution.
- Windows Server 2003
- UniData 7.1 database (88Gb, 18,312 data files)
- Text-based user interface
- Any Windows, Unix or Linux host
- Data migration to SQL Server while preserving the entity relationships
- Implementation of DataNovata Premium to provide a user-friendly HTML interface
- All that was required from the company at the start of the project was a database definition and the user requirements (a list of screens that users needed to be reproduced in the DataNovata solution).
- The NSC Migration Toolset migrated the data from UniData to SQL Server. Entity relationships were maintained via SQL Server views.
- Once on SQL Server, a DataNovata application was automatically generated.
- 70+ screens from the old application were reproduced using the DataNovata Toolkit.
- After the initial user requirements, further input from the company was not required until User Acceptance Testing.
- Only 10 issues were identified in UAT. Of those the majority were new user requests, user training issues or simple configuration fixes.
- Just 3 months from project commencement to delivery
- On premise, data centre and cloud hosting options now all available if required
- Secure access to the data from any device
- Future compliance assured
- Data available in an open format to use with 3rd party applications and APIs
- Cost savings realised when the company decommissioned the legacy application, database and host platform
“In the beginning it was difficult to picture a solution that could potentially be applied to all our legacy archiving needs. Within three months it was apparent that we had found our global solution for legacy applications. If we want to go to the cloud or swap our ERP system or just rationalise our estate, DataNovata is now our go to solution. NSC understood our requirements and when they changed, they were highly responsive and a pleasure to deal with.”
European IT Director